Robin Hood [Track 06]


Robin Hood is about real life heroes whose actions align with that of the merry men. The strategy for aesthetics and cadence were laid down for this song before the conceptualization of the lyrical content began. From the start, I wanted this song to be about “The Hero’s Journey” (as Joseph Champbell would put it)... while also being a song people could embrace and dance too. The hook compares MLK, Gandhi, and Socrates, while the verses illuminate their connection to Robin Hood (the mythological  character) and contemporary American society!    

The intro makes reference to Obie Trice’s album Cheers, and his rather ambiguous placement in Eminem’s song "Without Me" were Mr.Mathers says “And Moby, you can get stomped by Obie.” I think Eminem is saying that the confrontation is not worth his time but he will send Obie Trice to cause physical pain. However, I’m using the reference to say that beef/argument is irrelevant/bologna--and there are more important things to talk/fight about. Then continue by exclaiming I have the ability to usurp those in power, I do not speak of deceit, but rather to teach, and I will now articulate my discontent... 
"Let's test the hound of the Nobel pound. Obama Wow! ...your a big dawg now, with ya pull-up pants, advance ya stance...." At the time of writing these lyrics Obama had received the Nobel Peace prize without any real justification for it's issuance. It seems the international community did it as a jester in "good faith" pressuring him to pull out of Iraq through expectation rather than accomplishment. 

Concurrently, I am making fun of his almost manufactured image. "Obama Wow! ...your a bid dawg now" is my rendition of "Mommy Wow! I'm a big kid now" which is Pampers (diapers) corporate slogan. Don't look too far into the dawg thing, if you are "my dawg," you are my homie (and I am grouping Obama in with every other Nobel winner too). I meant it as a back-handed embrace. I think Obama is doing what he can and we won't really see who he really is as a president until his second term. I support you Mr.President and my services are always available to you.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Love Wins! Hip-Hop, History, and the Occupy Wall Street Movement!

Apollo vs. Dionysus (The Dichotomy Explained)

Mind Control [Track 13]